<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://greenandaquamarine.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Green+Aquamarine: Feeling Upbeat?

Friday 26 September 2014

Feeling Upbeat?

Getting protein in after a workout can be a tricky subject, particularly when trying to keep tabs on a clean ingredients list and not overloading on sugar. The few times that I have tried shakes from my gym, I have found them to be so thick and sweet that I wondered if I was undoing my hard work rather than promoting recovery. 

Upbeat have striped back the fuss with protein drinks, to create a product made of just three main ingredients: milk, fresh whey and fruit. The drinks have to be kept refrigerated and have a limited shelf life, so you know that you aren't consuming lots of preservatives. It does contain an acidity regulator, pectin and sucralose sweetener in very small amounts.

The bottles are 250ml which is a good portion size; the drinks come in at under 150 calories, with between 11 and 12 grams of sugar. These figures are a lot less painful to look at than most drinks, even so-called healthy options. Despite their small size, each bottle contains a solid 20 grams of protein, which seems to be the preferred quantity for most post workout protein bars. 

I tried the strawberry drink, but you can also try mango and passionfruit, and the new blueberry and raspberry. The drinks are quite sweet (honestly, I don't think the sucralose is necessary) but not sickly like other options, which was a relief. And, because fresh fruit puree is used, the drinks taste "real" rather than the plasticy artificial flavourings other drinks use. This week, the drinks have been particularly useful for me, because as well as getting me through workouts, they've been very nice on my Freshers' Week sore throat! 

Who are Upbeat drinks suitable for?
Anyone needing protein as part of their diet or as exercise nutrition, or a "bridge the gap" snack drink. The drinks are suitable for vegetarians, and those trying to have a lower chemical/fresh produce based diet.

Who aren't Upbeat drinks suitable for?
Vegans and lactose intolerant people can't drink Upbeat as it contains whey from milk and 8 grams of lactose per bottle.

*Disclaimer: I was sent vouchers and promotional products for Upbeat by the Good Whey Company. All opinions are my own.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home