<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://greenandaquamarine.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Green+Aquamarine: Exploring Wales

Thursday 2 October 2014

Exploring Wales



So... it's been ten days now, and already Bangor University is starting to feel like home. I've survived Freshers' week, (albeit with TWO colds) met most of the lovely people on my course and in my flat, been surfing, booked my PADI Open Water scuba course (eek!), joined the gym and started a new yoga class -phew. Oh, and lectures. To say the least, it has been a busy few days and looks set to remain so. But I honestly can't wait for it all to continue and for myself to get fully established.

So far, we have had a mix of gloriously sunny, warm days, and overcast and raining ones, and every time I have brought my camera out the blue skies had the curtains firmly shut. But such is life. I thought that I would share them all the same and introduce you to my new little city. Bangor is very hilly... and most of the hills are known not by their hard-to-pronounce Welsh names, but by slightly more... descriptive names!

Firstly, I've been really lucky with the food choices here. As well as various supermarkets for the weekly dash, I can take my pick from the health food shop, or the Asian supermarket two doors up. If I feel like a treat between lectures, I have a choice of Cafe Nero's and some great local coffee shops, along with a vegetarian cafe, Tyffin, that sells *so* many teas along with delicious mezzes.


One of the best things about North Wales is the scenery. All around, you can see mountains, many of which are part of Snowdon National Park. Looking down from the Hogwarts-esque main building, the Irish Sea and Menai Straits stretch out before you. On my first full day in Bangor, I couldn't believe how blue the water is in the sunshine! Then, just over the Menai Bridge, is Anglesey, the garden of Wales. I've already been over three times, visiting beaches with my Ocean Sciences school, and surfing society, along with introductory lab lectures -the Marine Biology labs are just across the water to Bangor, right on the coast.


The character of Bangor is also wonderful. Many of the residents are Welsh speakers, and there is a great sense of community; I love how you can chat to the shop owners rather than just grunt and hand over some change. There are lots of pubs around that I'd like to try, both for drinks and occasional cheeky meals out. Oh and the houses. So many beautiful houses! Aside from the numerous cottages, this water front house below has to be my favourite. What a view!


I'll be keeping you all updated on my life in Bangor; what else would you like to see? University advice, photographic posts? Drop me a comment below!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2 October 2014 at 14:22 , Blogger Jasmin Charlotte said...

Ah looks lovely! I've only been to Bangor on my way to Anglesey but it was gorgeous, definitely understand why you would want to study there!x

Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

 
At 8 October 2014 at 19:18 , Blogger Unknown said...

It's such a lovely little town/Welsh city. So nice to be living here! xx

 
At 9 October 2014 at 18:25 , Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds amazing to be living in such an idyllic Welsh city surrounded by the sea & mountains. Hope the rest of your semester will be as equally fun as the starter week :) that cottage house seems so pretty!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home