<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://greenandaquamarine.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Green+Aquamarine: Northumberland Glamping

Sunday 29 June 2014

Northumberland Glamping

Hello! So earlier this week, I went glamping for the first time for my Mama's birthday. Glamping is essentially luxurious camping. You're still off-grid and outside, but your tent -or in my case a yurt -is already set up on decking, with comfy beds and home comforts. There is a certain feeling of cheating to it, but other than that, glamping it is rather nice.

We stayed with Wild Northumbrian, which was really fantastic. You had to cross over a little rope bridge to get to the yurt, which was decorated beautifully -I want my next bedroom to look like this! All the paisley prints and throws were so appropriate and the tea lights decorating the interior kept the space light late into the evening.



On the first evening, we headed up (and up) to the Kielder Observatory. Northumberland is in an area of protected dark skies so is fantastic for star gazing. Architecturally, the observatory is visually really appealing, looking completely unique to most dome-shaped observatories and is very suited to the natural forested landscape. Sadly, I couldn't manage to get any photos, but I saw Saturn and Mars through the two telescopes, which was really impressive.

Being so close to the summer solstice, the sky never got completely dark. This photograph was taken at midnight:
The next day was spent getting very muddy on a 26 mile bike ride around Kielder Water. It was tough going, especially when I had to swap my hybrid bike for the heavy hired mountain bike to give Mum a rest, but it was really fun! It was a bit moody, a drizzly at points, but an old pair of Nike Dri Fits capris and my Sweaty Betty Athlete top kept me comfortable. Even when I wasn't wearing my jacket, I felt pretty dry, so I was really impressed with Sweaty Betty for that, and I'll be investing in some new Nike Dri Fit in the future.


We stayed for two days, and I would definitely go back again. After all the stress of exams, having a few days out was priceless. To take things slowly, eat outside, read books again was wonderful.
Have any of you tried glamping? Comment below!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 29 June 2014 at 15:59 , Blogger Charlene said...

I've never been glamping before but it looks fantastic - definitely my preferred way to camp! This looks like such a fantastic way to spend a couple of days - I'm dying to get something booked to just disappear for a little while to spend time outdoors and wrapped up inside with a book (and, as much as I love it, no internet!).

x

 
At 29 June 2014 at 18:36 , Blogger Rachael said...

That looks awesome fun - never gone fully camping myself yet alone glamping so I like the idea of the comfy bed for sure!

 
At 29 June 2014 at 21:15 , Blogger Gary said...

Ah that's how it should be done. Never understood normal camping.

 
At 4 July 2014 at 16:20 , Blogger Unknown said...

I think that the yurt definitely has a certain appeal to it! The site also rented teepees/tipis and a really sweet shepherds hut! The book featured in the post was one that I'd picked up by chance, and I loved it!
Eleanor xx

 
At 4 July 2014 at 16:20 , Blogger Unknown said...

I grew up with lots of camping trips, so this made a nice change!
Eleanor xx

 
At 4 July 2014 at 16:21 , Blogger Unknown said...

Complete with a stove and a firepit outside; perfect!
Eleanor xx

 
At 6 July 2014 at 20:24 , Blogger onetenzeroseven said...

This looks like so much fun! I'd love to try this with a big group of friends for like New Year or something :))

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home