<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://greenandaquamarine.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Green+Aquamarine: Clif Builder's Protein Bars Review

Friday 1 August 2014

Clif Builder's Protein Bars Review

After a workout, or during prolonged exercise, getting protein back into your system is really important. There are lots of types of foods that address the issue -shakes, bars, and in unprocessed raw foods like nuts. A few weeks ago, I was sent some of these Builders' Bars by Clif (via a BodyFit magazine giveaway), so I thought that I'd do a review.

Clif Bar & Company is an American brand that produces organic products for the health and fitness market. The concept of their original protein bars was founded when Gary, the founder, was on a bike ride and decided that he could do better than other companies that made artificial tasting protein bars. The company is also a member of 1% For The Planet, which means at least one percent of the net annual revenues are donated to environmental organisations.

The Builders Bar are a take on the original with even more protein added, totalling a whopping 20g. The bars themselves are quite large -so much so, that I have only been eating half a bar at a time following a workout. They come in three flavours: chocolate, chocolate and mint, and chocolate peanut butter. I liked the mint bar best, as it took away some of the sweetness of the bar, which contains around 20g of sugar. I'm not a peanut butter fan personally, so I left those bars, but I imagine if you are partial to peanuts that this bar would be pretty good.
crazyfooddude.com
 
The bar has a smooth protein layer and a crunchy layer beneath it, which reminds me of the Double Decker chocolate bars that I used to love. The protein is made from soya, which does have quite a distinctive taste. I have been having these bars after a gym session, so have found that the amount of protein, sugar and calories (264 Kcal in the peanut bar) are much more than my 5'2" body needs after an hour or so working out. If you are doing endurance exercises such as bike rides, or are into heavy weights then these would be perfect.
 
While I'm not sure that I would buy these bars again, I would be interested in having a try of other Clif Bar & Company products design for less intense activity. The white chocolate Luna Bar looks yummy! I have also been impressed by the ethos behind the brand; it is so good to see fitness companies get involved in supporting the environment, both in funding projects, and in sourcing responsible ingredients.

Apologies for the dodgy photos, all mine have mysteriously disappeared from my computer...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home