<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://greenandaquamarine.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Green+Aquamarine: Om Yoga Magazine: SUP Yoga

Sunday 31 May 2015

Om Yoga Magazine: SUP Yoga


I remember trying my first bit of stand up paddle boarding (SUP), quite a few years ago now, on a sunny canal in Wiltshire. I instantly loved it; more steady and versatile than a surfboard, and have often grabbed at the opportunity to try more, either during a surfing session or on a calm day. Whilst I have yet to experience a formal SUP yoga class, I can never help but hold a few asanas on the water.

In this issue of Om Yoga magazine wellness consultant and yoga instructor Helen Cloots demonstrates ten poses to start you off with some SUP yoga, with Austin Cox talking you through them all.

SUP Yoga

I love how practicing yoga on the unstable surface of a board really changes your perspective -in more ways than one! Firstly, balances that you may normally be comfortable with, such as tree pose, can be really challenging, whereas others, particularly wheel pose and headstand, are still as accessible as before. Plus, you'll get a few whoops from your fellow surfers and swimmers as it looks pretty impressive! Secondly, SUP yoga really changes your perspective of the water. You find yourself floating on the surface, either working on poses or just taking the time to breath. When a pose changes your orientation, the world looks so different. I am sure that I am not alone in loving wheel pose for this. My best memory is of balancing in wheel pose on a gentle swell, watching the horizon slowly rise and fall away. Plus, if you feel like it (or a wobble dictates it!) jumping and falling into the water is so fun and really get the arms going!

On another note, if you have any interest in yoga teacher training, then I would really recommend this issue of Om Magazine! It is chock-full of advice, courses, and there's even an interview with the awesome Anne-Marie Newland, who founded Sun Power yoga, which I practice when staying in Yorkshire. By following the my link below, you can purchase an issue of Om Yoga magazine for Ā£1.99, or start a subscription at a discounted price!


Disclaimer: I am an Affiliated Blogger with Om Yoga Magazine. Each issue I will write a post on an article from the magazine and share it with you. Have a look here to find about the other lovely affiliated bloggers. All photos in this post taken from the Om Yoga magazine. 


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home