<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://greenandaquamarine.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Green+Aquamarine: Oxford Streets

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Oxford Streets


On Saturday, the Halloween outfits were put away and the spare cakes packed as I headed my way across country to visit Stuart in Oxford. As far as long-haul rail travel goes, it was a fairly impromptu trip, which in a way made it all the more exciting to look forward to.


I love Oxford; it has been years since I last visited. The wide streets and sandstone buildings remind me of growing up around Bath, and in the bright sunshine the city was especially pretty. As if in attempt to push Welsh stereotypes, it had been raining almost every day in Bangor for the previous week, and to walk through the crisp orange leaves on Oxford streets was such a novelty. 


Stuart took me on a little tour around, joined by another good friend, Katy. We had a nosy into some of the colleges as well as walking the streets. As it was beyond normal visiting hours for the colleges we visited, it was great to utilise the student and friend access to have a quiet explore. 


Next I met Miriam for a coffee and catch up. I was really lucky to be able to catch up with so many friends in one trip! You can read Miriam's blog over at the English Mademoiselle Diaries. 


Sunday evening was the real showstopper though, as I was taken to Magdalen College's Formal Hall for dinner. Stuart and his fellow students were expected to wear their gowns, with visitors dressing appropriately. Each Formal is attended by some of the College Fellows who are greeted by one of the choirs whilst the attendees stand in respect. Then, we sat down to a three course meal followed by coffee and port. It was quite a surreal, but lovely experience, and the food was really impressive. The prawns and saffron rice for the fish course was probably my favourite, perfect for setting the guests up for the rest of the meal. In the middle of student life, it was lovely to sit down and have a proper, adult meal out.


Sadly Monday morning rolled around too fast and before I knew it I was on my way back again. I can't wait to visit again!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5 November 2014 at 11:22 , Blogger Jasmin Charlotte said...

I haven't been to Oxford yet but it looks lovely! Will definitely have to have a little trip out there soon x

Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

 
At 11 November 2014 at 22:10 , Blogger Unknown said...

It was the first time that I had been in years; I didn't want to leave! It will be especially gorgeous with the Christmas lights up if you're around then xx

 
At 13 November 2014 at 18:50 , Blogger Rachel Marie said...

Oxford looks so lovely! I don't actually think i've ever been there before which is crazy considering how small England is! x

http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home